Kelly Bandas is a writer and comedian best known for her popular Instagram and TikTok videos, which satirize everything from millennial motherhood to social media culture. Using self-deprecating humor (with her being from the Northeast), her mission is to empower and lift up other women through community, inclusivity, and laughter.
Her new book is Rookie Mistakes: A Grown-Up’s Field Guide for Getting Your Act Together—which is hysterical, substantial, and a page-turner that’s hard to put down.
In this episode, I ask Kelly what inspired her to write her book, where she got her humor and insight from, and what her intention is with her book. She says, “I wanted to send the message that you’re never too old to change your mind.” Her book is light and uplifting for those who may be silently struggling with mental health and wellness.
- How Kelly found inspiration from some of the toughest, darkest times of her life—and how humor got her through those tough times
- Her passion for being a writer and a storyteller—someone who can get people to turn the pages and read “below the fold”
- How Kelly was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety at an early age, and her experience as a failed mommy blogger
- How people are making it through the day, thanks to being part of a community
- The story of her dad taking her to a baseball game in the 90s (a time when it was “boys over here, girls over there”)—and how that experience created a bond with her dad, and brought about Kelly’s lifelong love of sports and baseball (she later got hired by the Boston Red Sox)
- How people get “mired down in their own camp,” not wanting to hear any other ideas and wanting to be right (Kelly calls this “screaming into the void to other people who agree with me”)
- How she played with format while writing her book, using light writing that’s like “coming up for air”
Plus, we discuss Kelly’s process for creating social media posts, and how her family helps her with that. She shares what life is like with her three boys who are 11, 8, and 6.
Links & Resources
Looking to take your mindset to the next level? Be sure to stop over on The Successful Mind Podcast Channel on YouTube for EXCLUSIVE content that you won’t find anywhere in your audio podcast feed. You can currently binge an entire series where David takes you through high level teachings around Raymond Holliwell’s classic book, Working With the Law. If you’re ready to take the next step in exploring the Universal Laws and mindset it requires to be a huge success you’ll want to check this series out. Remember, these are ONLY available on our YouTube channel. Go to youtube.com/TheSuccessfulMindPodcast, be sure to subscribe, and ring the bell so you won’t miss any of these EXCLUSIVE drops as they become available. See you there!
Find the inspiration you need to make your next move by revisiting these awe-inducing episodes from The Successful Mind Podcast
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than a minute and really makes a difference in helping us spread the “Successful Mind” message to those who need it most.
Discover David’s book: The Millions Within: How to Manifest Exactly What You want and Have an EPIC Life
Get SOCIAL with David! You can find him on the following platforms:
Miss anything? Don’t forget to subscribe to the show and stay on top of your own successful mindset. You can find us wherever you listen to podcasts: