Today my CEO, Steph Tuss, and I are talking about communication and conflict. Most people avoid conflict because of things that happened in their childhood. They associate it with mom and dad fighting over something…a bar fight or physical alteration … a winner and a loser… or with someone being made wrong. All of these things can feel painful, dangerous, and unsafe, especially when you’re a child.
Many of our clients are afraid to hold people accountable in their business, because they don’t want conflict. However, being conflict averse or conflict avoidant can bring your business to its knees.
Conflict is actually a good thing for business, because it brings out the best ideas . Disagreement, debate, different opinions, and different personalities are what bring about innovation. This can only happen through effective communication.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How the outside world reinforces the idea that you shouldn’t want to participate in conflict—because you could be canceled for speaking your opinion
- Fundamentally, the US was built on the concept of freedom—to have a different opinion, have a different idea, to be heard, and to let the best idea win the day
- Meritocracy means the best idea wins—not the most important person in the room wins; and you can’t get good ideas without conflict
- Why conflict is required for commitment and buy-in on your team (because you can’t get someone’s commitment if they won’t voice their opinions)
- How Steph brings a new idea to our team and wants the team to poke holes in it, and tell her why it won’t work and what could go wrong—so that she can see it from a different perspective (this is how we find our most innovative ideas)
- Why our team has instilled the belief of “sun-shining your mistakes,” which means turning the light on your mistake (not sweeping it under the rug or hiding it from anyone)—because mistakes are an opportunity to grow and learn something new, so you get a different result
We should all embrace conflict in a business setting, and learn to nurture it in our companies. We should develop a healthy attitude around conflict, instead of trying avoid it or to change it to sooth our internal, emotional issues that we have about it.
Links & Resources
Looking to take your mindset to the next level? Be sure to stop over on The Successful Mind Podcast Channel on YouTube for EXCLUSIVE content that you won’t find anywhere in your audio podcast feed. You can now binge an entire series where David takes you through high level teachings around Raymond Holliwell’s classic book, Working With the Law. If you’re ready to take the next step in exploring the Universal Laws and mindset it requires to be a huge success you’ll want to check this series out. Remember, these are ONLY available on our YouTube channel. Go to youtube.com/TheSuccessfulMindPodcast, be sure to subscribe, and ring the bell so you won’t miss any of these EXCLUSIVE drops as they become available. See you there!
You were BORN to be a success! Download my 2-Step Mindset Hack to Reprogram Your Life for Success completely FREE and start living the life of your dreams!
Embrace conflict and take your mindset to a whole new level with a little help from these previously released episodes from The Successful Mind Podcast
If you enjoy the show, would you please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts? It takes less than a minute and really makes a difference in helping us spread the “Successful Mind” message to those who need it most.
Discover David’s book: The Millions Within: How to Manifest Exactly What You want and Have an EPIC Life
Get SOCIAL with David! You can find him on the following platforms:
Miss anything? Don’t forget to subscribe to the show and stay on top of your own successful mindset. You can find us wherever you listen to podcasts: